The Next Adventure

In 9 weeks, Callum and I are off on an adventure that has been a long time in the making. For years, we have talked about wanting to travel and see more of the US, especially out west. It was always a “we’ll get around to it someday” kind of dream. Then almost a year ago we looked at buying a condo and realized that we weren’t sure if we wanted a condo or to be tied down to Toronto. That’s when we decided that it was time to make this dream a reality, we didn’t want a condo, we wanted to travel.

We bought a 1994 Roadtrek camper van. We made a timeline. We gave up our apartment in Toronto and put all our belongings in storage. And pretty soon, we’re leaving.

We’re still working on making a rough plan but we’re going to leave at the beginning of November and go west to Portland, OR. When we get to Portland, we’ll go down the west coast and we’re meeting my mom in California for Christmas. From there, we’ll follow the warm weather along the bottom of the US and end up back in Toronto in April.

Our plan is to explore nature as much as possible. We want to see the National Parks. We want to run as many trails as possible and spend our days hiking. We’re going to make a rough plan but leave the flexibility to stay somewhere we really like for longer.

I’ve decided not to sign up for any races before we leave but if we’re near somewhere with a race that I want to do then I will do it. I hope to get to meet a lot of online running friends in person and get to see trails from a local’s perspective.

We’re currently putting together a website so you can follow along with the adventure! If you live somewhere along our route and want to go on a run or have a driveway that we can park in, let me know!

Do you have any favourite spots that we should make sure to visit? What’s the best road trip that you’ve been on?

Happy running!

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “The Next Adventure

1. ralietravels September 6, 2016 / 7:52 pm

Nine weeks would put you around the beginning of November — a great time to see U.S. National Parks as they aren’t so very crowded. You are likely to encounter snow blocking your way in Rocky Mountain (Colorado) and the northeast entrance of Yellowstone. Not to plug my blog, but I invite you to take a look at it and click on both the “alphabetical index” to find more information about places you are interested in and the “Sights listed by State” for ideas. We crossed Canada in 2014 and hope you have just as great a time in the US as we had there.

• KatherineRunsUltras September 9, 2016 / 6:50 pm

We were initially worried about travelling in the winter but I think it’ll be a nice time see the national parks. I’ll go check out your blog, thanks!!

2. Gareth September 7, 2016 / 1:44 pm

Wow! Im jealous! Grats on taking the plunge! Is the doggo going too?

• KatherineRunsUltras September 9, 2016 / 6:51 pm

Thanks, I’m super excited! The dog is coming too, I don’t think she knows the adventure that she’s in for!

3. Ann September 9, 2016 / 3:05 pm

Oh what a trip! I was gonna say Jackson WY, but that’s a bit off your route.

Hopefully my husband and I will go on a roadtrip south from Madison, WI during christmas. I love roadtrips. The last one we were on was this summer when I moved from Alaska to Wisconsin. That was a trip of a lifetime! But also, we did one from Bozeman MT, through Canyonlands in Utah down to Las Vegas, and then circled back up to MT through Missoula before we came back to Bozeman. Also out of this world! I am from Sweden so that landscape was completely new to me! I wanna say we went through Wyoming somehow, but we didn’t go through Jackson, so maybe more towards the southern part of WY, where part of your route lies. I am looking forward to following your long trip!

• KatherineRunsUltras September 9, 2016 / 6:54 pm

Thanks for reading! We’re also going to go through Vegas and then to the Grand Canyon and through southern Utah so probably something similar to your trip! Did you see anything that you especially recommend?

• Ann September 12, 2016 / 11:07 am

Definitely Canyon lands, either Island in the sky or Arches, both of them are closer to Moab. We also travelled in January which was great because fewer people go there, I guess you will be there around a semi low season too. But really, that whole area is pretty mind blowing if you never traveled through there before, so just driving through is pretty spectacular as it is.

4. stewthebassman October 12, 2016 / 5:15 am

In Kenny Moore’s book, the Men of Oregon, you read about the people who settled Oregon about 100 years ago. Bend is one of those towns, and it happens to have turned out to be a very outdoorsy place. There’s Eugene as well, with the hallowed track where Prefontaine made his mark. You could also go to the road and rock where he died.

Further south there is Sedona, which is probably already on your list!

5. usathroughoureyes April 5, 2017 / 7:43 am

Isn’t it great being out there in your Roadtrek. We sure are enjoying ours.