Getting Race Ready

After a blustery run in Toronto this morning, I’m flying to Washington DC for the North Face Endurance Challenge Series (50k) so I thought I’d be a perfect time to talk about what I do to get race ready.

The first thing I usually do is lay out all my running clothes to make sure that I’m not forgetting anything. This race is tricky because the weather has been fluctuating. Currently, it’s predicted to be 6C with rain AND snow. Last year when I ran this race it was 25C and sunny so I think it’ll be a much different race this year. Thankfully, I’ve spend a lot of time running in weather similar to this or colder in the last few months!

I am flying down today (Thursday) and the race is on Saturday so there’s enough time for the weather to change. I am planning on running in tights but I’m bringing shorts just in case. I’m packing a lot of just in case clothes because I’m not completely sure what the weather will be like.

Here’s what I’m bringing:

Quite honestly, it’s a lot of stuff! If the weather was going to be more predictable then I would have a lot easier time. I would rather have too much stuff with me than be missing something that I really need because the weather changes. I expect to bring home a bunch of clean unworn running clothes.

In terms of nutrition, I’m waiting to go over a specific plan with my coach but this is what I’m packing:

Nutrition is a little easier than clothes because if I’ve missed anything then I can buy there and it’s probably less expensive to buy in the U.S. anyway.

I’m following the nothing new on race day rule. All the clothes, I’m bringing I’ve run in a lot and all the nutrition I’ve previously used (including in my 50 miler).

It was a hard decision between doing the 50k or 50 mile race. My coach and I decided that 50k was a better option because I don’t want to irritate my knee enough that I have to stop training again. I have to keep in mind that this a training run and the goal race is Sulphur Springs 100 in 6 weeks.

I talked my mom and Callum to coming to DC with me and a family friend is meeting us there so I’ve assembled quite a support crew!

Do you have a routine for packing for races? Are you racing this weekend?

Happy running!

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “Getting Race Ready

1. 50in50marathonquest April 7, 2016 / 7:24 pm

will be following a similar routine not this weekend but next weekend when we head to Utah on Thursday for the Salt Lake marathon on Saturday…follow pretty much the same kind of process but having not crossed into ultra’s yet my gear list is not quite so extensive, but the principles are the same especially when travelling and race day weather is unpredictable…good luck with your race!

• KatherineRunsUltras April 7, 2016 / 8:38 pm

Thanks for reading! Good luck on the marathon!! My gear list has particularly a lot on it this time because I’m trying to simulate what I’m going to do in longer races and the unpredictable weather 🙂

2. Russ April 7, 2016 / 8:12 pm

I almost signed up for either the marathon or 50K but ran two marathons in March and figured this may have been too much.

• KatherineRunsUltras April 7, 2016 / 8:32 pm

Probably a smart decision! It’s also supposed to be pretty bad weather so you may have made a good move.

• Russ April 7, 2016 / 8:37 pm

I know but I’m still planning a 20 miler Saturday! I live close to Baltimore so I’m about an hour or so from the race site.

3. Russ April 7, 2016 / 8:15 pm

I almost signed up for either the marathon or 50K but ran two marathons in March and figured I needed some rest. I tend to overpack if I travel for a race.

4. Tina@GottaRunNow April 7, 2016 / 8:47 pm

Pouring gel in a water bottle is a good idea that I’d forgotten about until reading your post. I might do that for my 25K trail race next week. I hope you have a great race day!

• KatherineRunsUltras April 8, 2016 / 6:13 am

It works really well! They’re gel flasks so they have measurements on the side about how many gels you’re taking. If you’re using gels from individual packages, make sure to mix it in a bowl with some water first or you’ll never get it out of the bottle! Good luck on your race 🙂

5. Gareth April 8, 2016 / 1:32 am

Good luck! If preparation is key youve git it nailed!

6. Jessica April 8, 2016 / 8:03 am