March Recap

IMG_2110Happy April! I can’t believe it’s here already, March just flew by.

Running-wise, March was a tough month because of my knee injury. There were two weeks where I only ran 10km for the entire week. When I was in Europe I walked a lot and I also swam quite a few times this month to keep my cardio up. On the bright side my knee seems to be doing great and I’m building up mileage again so I’m really hopeful for April.

IMG_2950April is going to be a busy month with the North Face Endurance Challenge next weekend and Pick Your Poison 50k at the end of the month. I still don’t know what distance I’m running at NFECS but by the end of the weekend I should.

I (stupidly) checked the weather for DC, which was probably big mistake because they are forecasting 50+mm of rain a couple days before the race. My fingers are crossed that the weather people are wrong!

great falls virginiaNow that it’s a new month, it’s time for some new goals/things to try to improve!

My goals for April:

• Keep doing my physio exercises. Since my knee injury I’ve been doing a great job with this but I don’t want to start slacking now that I’m feeling better.
  • Foam roll EVERY DAY! I always have trouble with this. I might try to start foam rolling in the morning to get it out of the way.
  • Bring my lunch to work every day. I’m still going strong on this and haven’t bought my lunch yet in 2016!
  • Start riding my bike to work. The weather is on the verge of warm enough, it’s free and faster than the subway so it’s really a win-win.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend and especially those running Around the Bay!

What’s your goal for April? Are you trying anything new?

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “March Recap

1. Tina@GottaRunNow April 1, 2016 / 8:55 pm

Wishing you the best at your April races! They’ll be good preparation for the longer race in May. I’m excited about running a 25K in April. This park has lots of alligators and I’ll be keeping a count during the race!

• KatherineRunsUltras April 2, 2016 / 9:28 am

Thanks for reading! Good luck on your race and with the alligators, I’m not sure if I could do that!

2. 50in50marathonquest April 1, 2016 / 10:40 pm

Great blog Katherine, looking forward to following your adventures…best of luck with the North Face – I haven’t made it to an ultra distance yet but I think it’s in my future!

• KatherineRunsUltras April 2, 2016 / 9:29 am

Thanks for reading! If you’ve run a marathon, you could definitely make 50k and the trails are lots of fun, I hope you make the jump soon 🙂

• 50in50marathonquest April 2, 2016 / 10:37 pm

I’m thinking of stepping in by entering a timed type endurance run and shooting for 50K or more if I can make it.

• KatherineRunsUltras April 3, 2016 / 3:28 pm

That’s a good idea! I did a 6 hour race last summer and it was lots of fun!

3. adamhaesler April 2, 2016 / 3:14 am

Hey Katherine,
    Those are some great looking goals, and very impressive on the taking your lunch to work, I thought for sure you would have cracked by now, I know I would have, lol!

Anyway, and maybe I am crossing a line bere, and if so I apologize my intention is only to help, but I noticed you did not state any goals for either race. Granted there is so much speculation with the injury, but goals are not meant to be easy, kind of like life, otherwise they would. call them rainbows or hearts instead of goals! 😉 They are meant to be the metaphorical “bar” that we are constantly reaching for, which is always out of reach to keep us improving.

For example, and this is tough to admit, but this will demonstrate my point. I had 3 goals for my first 100 miler a couple of weeks ago.

1. Finish and get a buckle.
    2. Finish under 24 hours, and get an even better buckle!
    3. Start the race knowing that you worked your butt off, and went the distance with grit, and pain, heartache and all the rest, in all that you knew, or believed, was possible to do and be ready to race.

I not only failed to do both 1 and 2, but did not even finish 50 miles. But seeing as finishing a 100 miler under 24 is one of my goals, and based on my experience at Badger I now have a long list of things to work on to shrink the distance between what I thought I could accomplish a couple of weeks ago, and REALITY, which is always a pain in the butt! But its what makes it possible for us to know if we are improving or not, and did we succeed or not, and was the bar set high enough, to high, or to low.

BUT

ONLY, if we set a goal to begin with before toeing the line, can ever be able to answer this question for ourselves.

Anyway, think about it even just for yourself (ie you do not need to respond for my sake), I believe you will thank yourself in the long run if you set goals and then see how they play out, regardless of what happens.

One other tip, which Sage Canaday once said, is to have multiple goals, one if everything went as planned, one medium, and one if everything goes wrong. This way if you do not meet one goal at least you have other metaphorical distance markers (ie less extreme goals) for how close did you come to you most ideal goal based on what of the others did you accomplish.

My goals for April 2016:
    1. Get out and swim lengths for 1 hour 10 times.
    2. Get knee better such that I can run across North shore on Baden Powell trail ~48 km and I think 6000 ft of elevation.
    3. Purchase running snowshoes and get out at least once before snow is gone.

Have an awesome day and I am really excited for you big race coming up, all the best!

Adam

• KatherineRunsUltras April 2, 2016 / 9:34 am

Absolutely not crossing a line! I’m not setting any goals for my April races because I’m just using them as long training runs and running them at 100 mile pace to practise everything for race day. I will definitely make goals for my 100 but I’m going to wait until I get closer and see how the rest of my training goes.

Those are great April goals! I had plans of trying out snowshoeing this year but we had hardly any snow so I’ll have to wait until next year. And swimming is great for cardio, I need to try to do it more consistently and not just when I get injured. I hope your injury is healing fast!

Have a great day/weekend!

• adamhaesler April 2, 2016 / 3:28 pm

Thanks Katherine, and good idea using the races for training runs.