Running and Travelling: Fort Lauderdale, FL

IMG_2695I’ve been to Fort Lauderdale quite a few times because my grandpa lives there but I haven’t been there during a training cycle. I had big plans for running along the beach and in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. The week before I left, my knee started to hurt and I took the rest of the week off running because it was a recovery week and I wanted to be extra cautious.

My first run after the break was along the beach and it was great! Callum and I decided to park near Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and then run from there. We didn’t realize that you couldn’t actually run along the ocean there but near the end of our 10k run we did run along the ocean. We ended the run by putting our feet in the ocean, that’s how every run should end!

IMG_2689The next day, I had a 20k run planned. It was 30C outside and really sunny, a little hot for someone that was running in -40C a couple weeks before but a beautiful day. In the middle of the run, my knee started to hurt so I decided to cut the run short especially because it was so hot.

The majority of my run was along the ocean (which had no shade) and then I ran in Hugh Taylor Birch State Park. Callum and I had walked around in there a couple days before so I knew there were some trails and went back to run them. The shaded trails were a great break from the lack of shade along the beach. Overall, the run was really great. If you’re in Ft. Lauderdale, I highly recommend checking out Hugh Taylor Birch State Park.

IMG_2669I’m home for a few days and then heading to Moncton, NB for work so there will be more of these travelling posts coming soon!

What’s the best place that you’ve found running while travelling?

Happy running!

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Running and Travelling: Fort Lauderdale, FL

1. Stewthebassman (@Stewthebassman) February 27, 2016 / 7:27 pm

Running in Southern Spain really did it for me…3kms through an ancient city at 6am conjures up ghosts of the past, and you have all the ancient alleyways to yourself! Magic!

• KatherineRunsUltras February 28, 2016 / 1:18 pm

That sounds amazing! When I ran in Lisbon at 6am, my run was full of people leaving clubs, not so lovely.

2. Tina@GottaRunNow February 27, 2016 / 8:34 pm

I’ve run in some great places while on vacation. Recently, I enjoyed running on the California coast. It’s fun to run in new places. Looking forward to seeing where you run next!

• KatherineRunsUltras February 28, 2016 / 1:21 pm

Thanks for reading! The California coast on my bucket list, glad to know it’s worth it!

3. Kevin February 27, 2016 / 8:46 pm

Running when travelling is a great way to get to know an area. I love it when I can get it in and discover a new city early in the morning. I did run in Ft. Lauderdale once and I didn’t pick my route very well. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to run again but I’m sure running anytime in Ft Lauderdale is better than Canada in the winter.

• KatherineRunsUltras February 28, 2016 / 4:25 pm

I definitely agree that running is the best way to explore when travelling! Running in Florida is definitely better than Canada right now. I should have just stayed there for the rest of the winter 🙂

4. afastpacedlife February 27, 2016 / 8:54 pm

I’ve been to Ft. Lauderdale many times, so when I saw your photo of the ocean, I recognized it instantly. It’s a great place to be in winter.