Tips for Training When Life Gets Busy

IMG_2194As you may be able to tell from my lack of posts, the last couple weeks have been crazy busy. Work is busy, life is busy, training is ramping up and it’s all happening at the same time. My recent time crunch has meant that I have to be more strategic about planning my runs so that I have time to get them in each day.

1. Run during lunch. I know this isn’t possible for everyone depending on your job but this has been a real time saver for me. Thankfully, my job is super supportive of my running and they’re happy to let me have a longer lunch to run and as long as I don’t have meetings in the afternoon, no one cares if I’m a little sweaty.
  2. Schedule time for a run. This seems easy but when you’re looking at your hectic schedule and see that you’re free, from let’s say 4:30-6, schedule in a run. You should treat the run just like you would schedule any other meeting. If there’s a specific time that you know you’re supposed to be running, it’s a lot harder to skip.
  3. Run commute. Logistically this one is difficult and I have trouble doing it most of the time but if I’m in a real crunch I do manage it. For me, running home from work (if I went directly home which is not the pretty way to go) is actually faster than taking the subway! If I’m running home, I leave almost all my stuff at work but my phone and wallet  which I carry in my hydration pack and then I just bring the rest of the stuff home with me the next day.
  4. A short run is better than no run. Did you have a 20k run planned but a bunch of stuff came up and you don’t have time anymore? If you can, you should still go out there and run however far you have time for. Even a short run is better than no run!
  5. Run in the morning. This may seem like an obvious one but I find that it really works well when I’m super busy. I can get up a little earlier and be done running before most people get up. Then whatever happens during the day, I have already run so I’m worried about having enough time later on.

This is what has worked for me! What has worked for you? Do you have any tips to add to the list?

Happy running!

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Tips for Training When Life Gets Busy

1. darkskyrunner February 10, 2016 / 8:04 pm

Good tips, thanks! I’m a big morning runner and that’s about the only way I get my run in. I’m also a big believer that running something is better than running nothing.

• KatherineRunsUltras February 11, 2016 / 7:48 pm

The morning run is great, a little tricky when it’s cold out but it’s the best in the summer!

2. CathyV February 10, 2016 / 8:16 pm

I’m super big on the run commute. (It helps to have a ‘Sherpa’ for the gear, a shower at work and a flexible schedule!) Kudos for getting in all the mileage!

• KatherineRunsUltras February 11, 2016 / 7:51 pm

You have an ideal set up for the run commute! I ran by your office recently, it’s also in a great place for different running routes!

3. DarlinRae February 11, 2016 / 9:43 am

During the winter I have a tough time running in the morning, just because it’s so dark and cold. The rest of the year, though, I like to get it out of the way first thing, so there’s less opportunity to skip it due to full schedule, laziness, or whatever comes up.

• KatherineRunsUltras February 11, 2016 / 7:54 pm

Getting it out of the way in the morning is the best but the winter is definitely tough, I rarely make it out in the morning when it’s cold and dark.

4. adamhaesler February 11, 2016 / 4:49 pm

Hi Katherine,
    Good to hear from you. What are you training for?

I find splitting training commitments between morning and evening, sometimes this includes splitting up a run (not ideal, but you do what you gotta do to get the job done) helps a lot when I can motivate myself out of bed, otherwise it is a long evening.

• KatherineRunsUltras February 11, 2016 / 8:04 pm

Training for 100 miles at Sulphur Springs! I’ve actually never split runs up but it definitely helps time wise and is a really good idea!

• adamhaesler February 11, 2016 / 9:27 pm

Wow Sulphur Springs! Ontario is where I am from, Peterborough to be exact.

Looking forward to hearing your review as maybe I will make it a trip out to visit family next year.

All the best with the race and your training!!!

• KatherineRunsUltras February 14, 2016 / 5:00 pm

Thanks! If you’re ever home in September, there’s a great ultra in Haliburton that you should check out!

• adamhaesler February 14, 2016 / 5:14 pm

Hey Katherine, which one is that?

• adamhaesler February 15, 2016 / 1:38 pm