For a while now I’ve had an obsession with bowls, I love how versatile they are! Also, they almost always create leftovers and I’m always looking for an easy solution for work lunches.
My bowl obsession started with a local brunch spot that served the breakfast bowl and then I found the big vegan bowl on Oh She Glows and since then, life has been full of delicious bowls of food.
There are a few staples that I always put in my bowls and then there are ingredients that I add depending on what’s in the fridge.
– Roasted Sweet Potatoes
– Quinoa (I cook to package instructions)
– Kale or Kale Salad
– Hummus (I usually use pre-made hummus, it saves a lot of time)
Optional Bowl Ingredients:
– Grated Carrots
– Hulled Hemp Seeds
– Nutritional Yeast
– Anything else you like and think would be delicious!
How to make the bowl staples:
Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
– Cut up sweet potatoes (I usually use 2 medium size ones) into uniform size pieces. It doesn’t matter the size but if they are large pieces it’s going to take longer to cook.
– Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
– Toss the sweet potato pieces with olive oil, enough to lightly coat, salt and pepper
– Spread out on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 30 minutes, checking and giving it a little toss half way through
– When the sweet potatoes are soft and look roasted, they’re done!
– Wash, remove stems and chop a bunch of kale into bite size pieces
– Sometimes I just add it like this
– Or else, I make a dressing out of lemon juice (usually half a lemon), olive oil (equal parts to the lemon juice), 1 or 2 tablespoons of tahini (depending on your preference) and salt and pepper (to taste).
– Add the kale to the dressing and left overs will be good for 3 or 4 days.
– Remove the tofu from the water and place in paper towels under something heavy to remove the water
– Cut into bite size pieces
– I usually marinate with soy sauce, sriracha, a little bit of sesame oil
– Pour the whole thing into a hot sauce pan and cook until the tofu is hot through out.
The greatest thing about the bowl is all the variations so my staples are just what I’ve found work best. Your bowl might look nothing like my bowl but I hope it’s completely customized to your liking!